Appartamento dei Principi Ereditari detto anche Appartamento del Duca degli Abruzzi
(The Crown Princes’ apartment, also known as the Apartment of the Duke of the Abruzzi)
The princely suite in the east wing on the first piano nobile of the Palazzo Reale still bears the name of one of its last historic inhabitants, Luigi Amadeo of Savoy-Aosta (1873-1933), Duke of the Abruzzi, a renowned explorer, sailor, mountain-climber, admiral, son of Amedeo, Duke of Aosta, and King of Spain. The apartment has undergone many modifications over time and today is composed of ten rooms, which were lavishly decorated in 1842, in honour of the wedding of Victor Emmanuel and Maria Adelaide d’Asburgo Lorena.
The rooms contain paintings by artists including Giovanni Benedetto Castiglione detto il Grechetto, Vincenzo Camuccini, Luca Cambiaso, Carlo Maratta and Domenico Parodi, portraits of the House of Savoy and a large collection of furnishings and fittings and tapestries dating back to Carlo Alberto’s refurbishment in 1842.